Sunday, February 11, 2007

Waiter, there's an egg in my pie!


This months edition of delicious. magazine included a short section on pies. As I flipped through the pages, a picture of mini-pork pies gave me the inspiration to not only use quail eggs again, but to also join in on this month's Waiter, there's something in my... pie.

It may be a little early for the event, but when something just feels right for the day - I just go ahead and make it. I bought a little pack of quail eggs during the week, and today - I was in the right frame of mind for a good pork pie.

The delicious. recipe used chilies, parsley and paprika which are not really traditional flavours for a pork pie, so after scouring Hugh's meat book I decided to use his mix with sage, thyme, mace, and cayenne. I didn't have any mace on hand, so used a sprinkling of grated nutmeg instead.

To make the pies, I made up a short-crust pastry which rested in the fridge until ready for use. I boiled the quail eggs for approximately 10 minutes and cooled them under a running tap. (This will prevent the yolk from going grey.) To 400 grams of minced pork, I added 4 rashers of chopped bacon. It may sound strange adding the bacon to pork, but it adds flavour and a little fat to the mix - which helps it all bind together. I mixed in a tablespoon each of sage and thyme, a sprinkling of cayenne, a good ground of nutmeg and salt and pepper. Into a muffin tin, I shaped the rolled out and cut dough. I spooned in a good helping of the meat and made a small well in the centre in which the egg could stand up. I covered over the egg with more pork mix and sealed the pies with more rounds of pastry. I brushed each pie with beaten egg and baked at 200 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.

Next time I'm looking to make a pork pie, I would like to make a hot-water crust. I'm very intrigued to see how hard (easy) it really is! I love the egg as well - it adds texture and interest, colour and flavour. These pies are truly "gala pies".

8 comments:

The Yorkshire Foodie said...

Damn you beat me to it with using that recipe as the basis of your "Waiter..." entry!

They look and sound suitably delicious though. Grrr!

Maggie said...

I didn't know 'pork pies' with an egg in the middle was referred to as 'gala pies'. I love the idea of putting quails eggs in the middle of the meat mix. Incidentally Bonnie, I was born and bred in Melton Mowbray and everything there is based around the best pork pie maker Dickinson & Morris.

Brilynn said...

I wish I could get delicious magazine here, but it's impossible to find!

Freya said...

I've just discovered your blog! Another British blogger, great! Your site is wonderful. The Gala Pies looks yummy!

Bonnie said...

Hi Yorkshire - I knew this recipe would be a hot favourite and I'm glad I got in there quickly! It was so worth it ;)

Hi Margaret! - Isn't it a very regal name for a regal pie! Although Hugh FW seems to think that adding the egg in the middle is a bit stingy because it means less meat! I much prefer with the egg though!

Hi Brilynn - Good to see you round! Delicious is actually an Australian magazine made by the ABC (the public Australian Broadcasting Corporation) and has now just launched in the Netherlands...(or was that Denmark...) maybe they'll be over your way soon!

Hiya Freya - Good to see you! And I'm v. happy to discover your blog as well! See you around!

Jeanne said...

Oooooh, I adore pork pies, so gala pies seem like the logical next step. Yours looks PERFECT! Well done you :) I think I will have to demand that you attend the Henley foodblogger picnic and demand that you bring these!

Bron said...

FAB looking pies Bonnie!

Andrew said...

Missed this recipe but you make it sound so good. I thin we should make it part of the Waiter... rules that all participants have to send us some of their entry to try!

Search Daydream delicious...