Friday, June 23, 2006

Lemon Posset



So how do you enter an icecream event when you're not that partial to ice cream, have a freezer the size of a shoe box and no icecream maker? Hmmmm, I thought, a case for a different creamy dessert. I know I could've opted to showcase a favourite icecream, or purchase icecream to create a magnificent icecream dessert, but as mentioned before, I'm not that partial. I do like the odd lick or spoonful here and there, especially during the first hopes of Summer and when I'm ready for Winter to be dead and gone, but I don't really go out of my way. So hopefully Sam will accept my entry.

I happened upon this recipe while reading the current Olive magazine. By Paul Merrett, it's a simple dessert featuring only 3 ingredients. It struck me when I first glanced at the page. What's a Posset? I thought, Why have I never heard of this dessert before? So simple, so elegant, so right for Summer.

Wiki told me some very interesting information. For example, eggnog is part of the posset family, who knew? Traditionally, a hot creamy drink for the invalid, it's created using wine, ale or other liqueur. How came it to be a cold, creamy dessert? I just don't know. Using lemon instead of alcohol to set the cream, I couldn't think of a better way to end a Summer Feast.

Lemon Posset

568ml double cream
140g sugar
5 lemons - zested and juiced

Place cream in a heavy saucepan with the sugar. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 4 minutes until the cream rises to the top edge of the pan. Add the zest and juice and remove from heat. Use less or more lemon juice depending on personal preferences. Cool down for 15 minutes and pour into little serving dishes. At this point, add some little berries or other delicious fruit that might go with lemons to give it a little twist. Chill overnight, then serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonnie,

I have no doubt's that Sam will accept your entry. Well done!

June said...

This looks so cool and delicious - I do think of possets as being for victorians-with-a-cold, nice to be reminded of the summer version.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for your kind words, Ivonne - I'm really looking forward to seeing the other entries!

Sam said...

Hi Bonnie,

Ivonne, is absolutely right, how could I not accept these delightful lemon custards. Your possets look great and sound wonderful. I think desserts are best when they are simple, easy and effective. Look for the round up on July 2nd and thanks for participating.

Search Daydream delicious...