Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A sweet parcel from France


This month's round of European Blogging By Post was hosted by the gracious Johanna who is the Passionate Cook. Yesterday I received my parcel! I quickly discovered that it was from Cindy over at Gorgeous and Delicious. And here it is!

The parcel contained the largest bag of sweets that I have ever seen in my whole life! The bag included Cindy's favourite, bonbons, which I think I will adopt as my favourite - purely based on the name. The bag is now being shared out between my grateful colleagues!

Next up is this very tasty block of Lindt chocolate - macaron flavour, which is very nice, but unavailable here in the UK. Behind that is a box of La Paille d'Or, wafers with strawberry flavour jam which Cindy ate as a child. Lastly, behind that is a box of rolled crepes called Gavottes which Cindy uses to make a cake called Trianon. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the recipe on Cindy's blog... Thank you very much for the parcel Cindy!

If you'd like to see what I sent, please visit Betty over at Cuisine Quotidienne. To view all of the other participants go here! And finally, after the jump, is a recipe for the Hershey's chocolate cookies that I sent to Betty and the first recipe I've made from my newly acquired Hershey's Cookbook.


Chocolate Walnut Wheels

80 grams of butter
1 cup of sugar
1 egg
6 tablespoons of cocoa
2 tablespoons of light vegetable oil (such as rapeseep oil)
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
2/3 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of chopped walnuts

Cream the butter and add the sugar gradually. Beat well until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Stir the cocoa and oil together to make a paste and add that to the mix with the vanilla. Add flour, salt and nuts and beat well. Form the biscuits with a teaspoon onto a baking sheet. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes, then let cool.

NOTES:
- Hershey's suggest garnishing the biscuit with a walnut half before baking.
- When I'm making biscuits, I always make a sausage out of the dough with cling film before shaping. I then chill or freeze until needed. When its ready, it's so much easier to then just slice the cookies off the sausage instead of shaping them!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh Johanna, I definitely didn't share the chocolate out! Just the sweets in the bowl! So many of them and way too much sugar for just me...

Anonymous said...

oh, great parcel!
I love getting nice and delicious presents over the mail from strangers...;)

Anonymous said...

ah, sharing is caring, and interesting to get macaron chocolate... i must ask my friend to look out for some for me! :D

Cindy said...

Nice to see you enjoyed the parcel. For the trianon's recipe it's here : http://gorgeousanddelicious1.blogspot.com/2006/01/royal-au-chocolat-trianon.html
And as for the macaron chocolate, if anyone wants some, just ask, I'll be happy to send you some.

Search Daydream delicious...