Saturday, February 24, 2007

Crepe Cake with creme anglaise


I am quite adept a cooking crepes. I should be. For about a year, I spent 3 hours a day for 3 - 4 days a week cooking up 10 litres of crepe batter for the pancake restaurant I was working in. The music would be turned up loud and I would go into the zone like a machine. I usually had 4 - 5 burners going at a time and I got the technique down pat. I'm sure if anybody did it for this long, they would be quite adept as well.

I saw this crepe cake a few months ago and it has been in my memory, sweet-talking to me ever since. Last week, with Pancake Day looming, I googled crepe cake and found this post in which a crepe cake is eaten. That particular cake was made with pastry cream.

With my fascination with egg based sauces still invading every waking thought, I felt this was more appropriate. So today, I sat down to figure my plan of action.

The first step was to decide what sort of cream to use. According to the gospel, it is worth defining the difference between a pastry cream, a creme anglaise and a custard.

A pastry cream is "meant to stay put in a dish and hold (it's) shape. (It is) therefore stiffened with a substantial dose of flour or cornstarch..."

A creme anglaise is a "pourable cream" and should only be as thick as double cream when cooled to room temperature.

A custard is "...a dish (that is) prepared and served in the same container, often baked and therefore unstirred, so that it sets into a solid gel."

By definition, the custard ruled itself out. The cake in the 'inspiration post' said that pastry cream was used for the layers, but I'm not a particular fan of pastry cream and besides, I did really want to prepare the creme anglaise.

The result was light yet very filling and not overly sweet. It went well for our afternoon snack with a cup of coffee. Dan was particularly impressed. Next time I think I would be inclined to add a layer of lemon curd or other equally tart jam to add an extra element to cake. Unfortunately, it did take a good 3 hours to prepare, so I think it's going to be stuck with a 'for special occasions' label.

Crepes

Makes approximately 22 crepes - each 26cm in diameter

400g sifted flour
8 eggs
Pinch of salt
1 litre milk

Add the eggs to the flour with 2 or 3 tablespoons of the milk. Beat together until incorporated. Add in the rest of the milk and beat until the consistency of double cream. Leave to stand for at least one hour. Pour the batter into a jug through a sieve to ensure that no lumps remain. Heat a 23cm nonstick frying pan to medium high.

When heated, pour in a generous amount of the batter and swirl it to cover the base of the frying pan. Pour out any excess batter back into the jug. When the edges start to crinkle and dry out, try to loosen the pancake with a spatula. When reasonably loose and cooked, flip. When the cake is cook, it will not stick to the fry pan. Place the crêpe on an upside down plate covered in a paper towel. Repeat as above until no batter remains. Patience is a virtue! And eat the first one because it's never any good.

Creme Anglaise
by Nigel Slater

2 eggs
2 egg yolks
400mls milk
200mls single cream
6 tablespoons of caster sugar
1 vanilla pod

While the crepe batter is standing, walk to the co-op and grab some milk, cream, bananas, apples and icing sugar. Measure the milk and cream into a heavy saucepan and heat on a medium high heat with the vanilla pod split lengthwise. Bring to boiling point. Nigel reckons that you will know boiling point right when the milk starts to quiver and tiny little bubbles start to appear on the edges - do not boil! While the milk is heating, beat together the eggs and sugar until light and airy. Through a sieve, strain in 2 or 3 tablespoons of the milk and stir through the eggs. Pour the remaining milk into the eggs - again, through the sieve. Stir through thoroughly. Rinse out the saucepan and pour the creme anglaise back into it and return to a low heat. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the creme anglaise. Stir for 5 or 6 minutes until the creme anglaise starts to thicken. Remove from heat and pour into a heatproof bowl. Stir every now and again until ready to use.

To assemble:

Place one crepe onto a flat plate no defined rim. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the custard and spread over the bottom crepe. Place another crepe onto the creme anglaise and again, spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the creme anglaise on top. Continue layering until everything has run out, finally finishing with a crepe on top. Sprinkle over a bit of Demerera sugar over the cake and either caramelise the sugar with a blow torch or under a very hot grill.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Bonnie!

Very nice!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Lovely! It's been many years (and where IS that recipe?) but I did a savory crepe cake and the crepey layers were really something. Thanks for the reminder!

Maggie said...

Your crepe cake is unbelievable Bonnie, a feast for the eyes. I am envious of your crepe making skills.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! And though you say the skill came from your endless hours of making these things, I think you should still be complimented on those insanely thin crepes!

miss cupcake said...

Wow Bonnie, I'm impressed - admirable effort and exceptional result!! There is an Indonesian layer cake that is based on the same idea - I love it but never attempted because I simply don't have your skills and patience.

I bet yours taste as good as it looks :-)

Bonnie said...

Ivonne - thank you :)

Alanna - I love the thought of a savoury crepe! I can imagine a creamy mushroom or a savoury custard. Let me know if you find the recipe!

Margaret & Ellie - thank you for the wonderful comments - you know what they say though... practice makes perfect!

Miss C - I might have to look into the Indonesian crepe cake you mention! It could be interesting - I wonder if they use a sweetened condensed milk sauce that is quite common there... interesting... and btw - I'm sure you have many more skills than me ;) certainly enough to make this one!

Pilar - Lechuza said...

Have you ever tried to fill each layer with ham and cheese? I do it very oftenly but I don't add sugar to my "filloas" (this is how we call the crepes in Galicia, the northwest part in Spain)
Best wishes.
Pilar

Kavey said...

First time visitor to your blog, just wanted to say that your crepe cake brings back memories of one my husband and I enjoyed in a restaurant in Knysna, South Africa whilst there on holiday a couple of years ago. In that version the crepes were layered with a lemony sauce, perhaps a thin lemon curd, and the result was absolutely delicious!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

I like to make pancake cakes layed with lemon curd and drizzled with cream.

It's so very uncheffy, but then so am I.

Freya said...

This looks dreamy and delicious! So wonderful! I have been wanting to make a crepe gateaux for a while...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Bonnie, it looks elegant and delicious!

What a beautiful blog you have!

Search Daydream delicious...