Friday, August 11, 2006

Cheese (souffle) cake


Ok, so this was an experiment. I'll disclaim it now. A photo with baking parchment is not the most prettiest photo, I know. But hey, I like to share my semi-disasters along with the best of them. That said, it was really, very tasty.

A punnet of blackberries saw the start of this little dish. The new ramekin dishes sitting in my cupboard was the inspiration. What was expected from the dish was a mini-baked cheesecake. What emerged was a blackberry souffle on a crushed gingernut biscuit base. What caused my cheesecake to turn into a souffle? Ahhhh good question.... I put it down to the fact that I had no cream on hand and justified it in the fact that the addition of cream was added calories and who needs 'em anyway? So no cream went in and this caused the mix to have no 'weight', so up it went into a souffle.

The reason for the baking parchment was to extract it from the ramekin - much needed in the case of normal cheesecake, but completely unnecessary, and certainly not recommended for a souffle. My plate was a big blop of souffle once I had removed it from the ramekin and certainly not photogenic.

Should the concoction be replicated (sans baking parchment) these directions should be followed:

Souffle Cake

Serves 2 - with a little extra for quality control

150 grams of cream cheese
2 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons of unrefined sugar
1/4 of icing sugar
1/4 teaspoons of vanilla
150 grams of blackberries
125 grams of gingernut biscuits, crushed
75 grams of butter, melted

Create the base in the usual manner by mixing crushed biscuits and press them into the bottom of a greased ramekin. Refridgerate until needed. Beat the cream cheese with the unrefined sugar and add the vanilla and egg yolks one at a time and beat until the sugar is dissolved. Mix the blackberries through. In a different bowl, whip the egg whites until frothy. Add the icing sugar, a little at a time until soft peaks are formed. Fold through the blackberry mixture until just mixed. Spoon over the biscuit base and fill to the top of the ramekins. Bake in a 180 degree Celsius oven for about 20 minutes, until risen or slightly browned. Good luck!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh but I bet it was delicious!!!

Mademoiselle Différentielle said...

It sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes accidents make the best food. Thats where popsicles and some kind of salad (I forget which) come from, right? Sounds good to me!

Bonnie said...

Indeed it was delicious! And I think this creation maybe one that I will try and replicate with a little tweaking here and there. I definately think that the cookie crumb base is an excellent addition to a souffle!

Jen said...

Bonnie, even your kitchen disasters manage to look pretty.
I love the pretty purple colour from the blueberries.

Jeanne said...

If that's a disaster, then I'd hate to see your triumphs!! :o) That looks perfectly planned, not like an accident at all - I love the swirly colour, and I love the idea!

Bonnie said...

I decided to post about it because it perfectly matches the colour scheme of my blog, don'tchya think?

There's always room for a little vanity ;)

Anonymous said...

Very delicious!
http://www.intera.ee/tool-tootool.html

Search Daydream delicious...