Monday, July 31, 2006

Still cooking with beets: Beetroot & Chocolate Cake


We had another round of beets this week and I already had them tagged for a chocolate cake. Considering that I can't remember the last time I made a chocolate cake, it was definately time to break the fast. With Beet (Superfood) Root added to the chocolate batter, I don't think a healthier chocolate cake could be had. Thanks to Miss C over at La Otra Dimension, I decided to try her mistake-made-good recipe, which is a variation of the National Trust's Beetroot and Chocolate Cake.

To me, the cake was like a giant cookie, with a beautiful, creviced top. The beets added a certain moistness to the cake, and a deeper colour. I iced it with an orange cream cheese topping, although next time, I'd use a fluffy, chocolate, butter icing or even leave it plain. It was devoured by Dan's colleagues who are really starting to get spoilt by my baking for Daydream delicious...

Chocolate & Beetroot Cake

120g butter
120g dark chocolate
150g raw beetroot, grated
100g sugar
pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup flour
2 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Melt the butter slowly, and when melted add the chocolate which has been broken into smaller chunks. When the chocolate has all melted, add the sugar and salt and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the eggs and mix well. Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Fold in the beetroot. Bake in a nonstick pan for 50 minutes. Once removed from oven, cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan. Leave to cool then ice. Or serve hot, dusted with icing sugar.

4 comments:

miss cupcake said...

Hi Bonnie,

Chocolate icing..that's an excellent idea - makes me want to buy some beetroots today!

Anonymous said...

Oh ...look at that icing! What an interesting cake!

Deetsa said...

beetroots... hmm, never would have thought of combining that with chocolate. I guess its no stranger than carrot cake or zucchini-chocolate tea loaf.

Bonnie said...

Nerissa,

I would love a recipe for zucchini-chocolate tea loaf! That sounds great!

Search Daydream delicious...