Wednesday, August 30, 2006

London's Borough Market

Borough Market is like a wonderland to me. It sparks a sense of anticipation and excitement. What specialties will I find today? Which vendors will I have a chat with? What are the crowds like? And I wonder which coffee they're serving up over at Monmouth's?

Being the last long weekend before Christmas, we decided to make it a good one. We took an extra couple of days off, and planned different things to do on each. Friday was for London. It wasn't a difficult decision, less crowds is something I always appreciate. We arrived at the market just before lunch hour, and we made sure we got our felafal (a craving I've not been able to satisfy since I left New York 18 months earlier) ahead of the lunch crowds spilling out from the surrounding offices.

And for viewing pleasure, if you continue reading, a few great photos to share the atmosphere.


High on our agenda was a visit to Monmouth's, not only for the special of the day - cappucino style, but for a kilo of beans so we can enjoy that Monmouth flavour in the comfort of our own home.

Unfortunately, buying fresh meat and in particular, fish is something we don't indulge when we visit the market. Just doesn't travel quite as well...

And our favourite fruit shop, in full fledge seasonal abundance.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've captured the joy of going to the market just beautifully, Bonnie!

miss cupcake said...

Bonnie, great photos!My mouth is watering!!

Bonnie said...

Ivonne - I'm glad you think so! I just *love* going to the market. Wish I could go everyday...

Miss C - Don't you just want to dive into those cherry tomatos??

Andrew - I wish I didn't have to go all the way to London to get this quality of market - but alas, such is life. We're trying a new one on the weekend which has come highly recommended - Ely Farmer's Market which is a village outside of Cambridge and famous for the Cathedral and for being the home of Oliver Cromwell - great claims indeed!

Search Daydream delicious...